|Good Night, Knight|
|Season 2, Episode 23|
|Air date||May 2, 2001|
|Written by||Joe Fallon|
|Directed by||Lisa Simon|
The Chess Mess
Good Night, Knight is the twenty-third episode of Season 2 of Between the Lions, and episode 53 in total.
Tim Lagasse, Jim Napolitano, and guest puppeteer Sal Macri, put on a puppet show with tin knights. Before the show starts, the lion family looks at models of the puppets and watch the rehearsal. However, Leona accidentally knocks over the puppet of Angelica, and Sal shakes his head, implying that he can't fix it before the show starts; Leona feels bad about it.
When Lionel says he can't believe Leona won't get to see the play because she knows it all by heart, Sal gets an idea and asks Lionel if that's true, and Lionel says yes. With that, Sal, as Orlando Furioso, asks Leona for her help; when Leona wonders if he wants someone else's head torn off, Sal corrects her, asking if she will take the part of Angelica, and be Orlando's "fair maiden."
With the encouragement from her family, Leona accepts, and the play is a success. Sal, as Orlando, thanks Leona, saying that she saved the show, and Leona thanks him in return.
Segments and Songs
- Martha Reader and The Vowelles singing the long "i"-- "i"-- sound in the word "light".
- Fred Says: light, lighthouse
- The Word Doctor with Dr. Ruth Wordheimer: delightful
- Barnaby Busterfield and the Pigeons: that's a long word, nightingale, and that's a delightful
- Gawain's Word: night
- 14 Karat Soul: Long I (I, I) (EKA: The Spider and the Lie)
- Word Machine: knight, right, ride
- The Lone Rearranger Rewrites Again: Cowboys Must Ride Horses Into The Corral (EKA: The Spider and the Lie) (whipcrack sound added at the end)
- Construction: ride, tide, time
- Information Hen tells time (EKA: The Spider and the Lie)
- Heath the Thesaurus and the monkeys sings Ten Little Words (with Announcer Bunny)
- Fred Says: smile (full) (EKA: The Spider and the Lie)
- Barnaby Busterfield and the Pigeons
Notes and Trivia
- Tim Lagasse and Jim Napolitiano make cameo appearances as two of the puppeteers.
- Leona liking the Sicilian Marionettes and performing as Angelica in the show is an unintentional reference to the fact that she's a puppet.
- Orlando was previously seen in the What's Your Name? segment for the short "a" sound in Season 1.
- This episode was released on VHS on October 30, 2001, along with it's 24 other episodes. They are:
- Episode 1: The Sad Dad
- Episode 2: Humph! Humph! Humph!
- Episode 3: The Good Seed
- Episode 4: Icarus's Wings
- Episode 5: Zoop! Zoop!
- Episode 6: Clickety-Clack, Clickety-Clack!
- Episode 7: Poetry Day
- Episode 8: Bobby the Hopping Robot
- Episode 9: Teacher's Pet
- Episode 10: The Last Cliff Hanger
- Episode 11: Pebble Trouble
- Episode 12: Oh, Yes, It Can!
- Episode 13: Five, Six, and Thistle Sticks
- Episode 14: Bug Beard
- Episode 15: Trains and Brains and Rainy Plains
- Episode 16: Quest, Quest, Quest!
- Episode 17: The Spider and the Lie
- Episode 18: Why the Baboon's Balloon Went Ka-boom!
- Episode 19: But, Mama, But...
- Episode 20: Dreaming Shakespeare
- Episode 21: Rats
- Episode 22: Tweet! Tweet!
- Episode 24: The Chess Mess
- Episode 25: Stop That Chicken!
- This episode was released on reprint VHS on October 1, 2002, along with the other Season 2 episodes (excluding Dreaming Shakespeare).
- This episode was released on the Complete Second Season 4-Disc DVD Boxset on September 2, 2008, along with the other Season 2 episodes (excluding Dreaming Shakespeare).
- The Song Ten Little Words also appears in the Season 2 finale Stop That Chicken! (Only 2 episodes after this one)
- This episode was last broadcasted on PBS in April 2009.
This page has a limited amount of images in the template. For extended images, see Good Night, Knight/Gallery.