|The Spider and The Lie|
|Season 2, Episode 47|
|Air date||April 24, 2001|
|Written by||Joe Fallon|
|Directed by||Ted May|
Quest! Quest! Quest!
Why the Baboon's Balloon Went Ka-boom!
Lionel writes a crime story that includes Mr. Monkey, a spider, and a lie.
- Martha Reader and The Vowelles: kite
- Chalkboard: kite, white, while, mile, smile
- Fred Says: smile
- "I Got A Good Reason to Write" (song)
- Gawain's Word: chime
- Information Hen tells time
- 14 Karat Soul: Long I
- The Lone Rearranger Rewrites Again: Cowboys Must Ride Horses Into The Corral
- Word Machine: ride, hide, hid, hip, rip
- Vowel Boot Camp: rip/ripe
- A word from Al Roker: chilly
- Fred Newman sings "Get your Mouth Movin'"
Busterfield: Barnaby B. Busterfield III had a spider, and inside his head was where Barnaby would hide her. Heh heh heh. Take that, Mother Goose. Heh heh.
Theo: Mr. Monkey, can you tell the court your full name, please?
Monkey: Monkey C. Monkeydew.
Click: And I fail to see why you need a pencil when you have a state-of-the-art computer.
Lionel: Writers need pencils. You can't chew on a computer.
Lionel: Poor kid. He took her straight down Chump Street in a leaky canoe.
Click: Lionel, where's Chump Street?
Leona: I like the cute animal genre. Can you write in the cute animal genre, Lionel?
Lionel: Oh, come on, Leona. I'm trying to concentrate. Take a powder, dollface.
Leona: 'Take a powder, dollface'? Lionel: That's the way they talk in the crime genre.
Rug: If there is no book, then he is not the crook. If he says it's not so, you must let him go!
Click: You, rug! Lie down!
Rug: Okay. Monkey C. Monkeydew: Yes, I admitted, I lied, I did it. I lied about the whole thing.
- This is the first time an episode of this show is shown in black and white.
- Rug's feeble attempts at defending his client, Monkey C. Monkeydew, are a spoof on "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit," a phrase coined by defense attorney Johnnie Cochran, referring to a glove that was a piece of evidence in the infamous 1995 O.J. Simpson murder trial. Though the monkey in the story eventually broke down and confessed, Simpson was acquitted.