|A King and His Hawk|
|Season 1, Episode 25|
|Air date||May 5, 2000|
|Written by||Louise Gikow|
Michael K. Fifth
|Directed by||Ted May|
Episode 24: The Old Man
Episode 26: The Roar That Makes Them Run
A King and His Hawk is the 25th episode of Season 1 of Between the Lions.
On a day when all the patrons are reading sad books that have tragedy about the character's deaths, Lionel reads "A King and His Hawk" to Leona. Leona is traumatized by the part where the king kills the hawk, so she tries to hide the book so nobody else will read it and get upset.
Segments and Songs
- Barnaby B. Busterfield III: crying or weeping
- Martha Reader and The Vowelles singing the short "I" sound in their zippy big hit "sing".
- Color Patterns: sing, sit, it
- A word from fame Broadway, actor and director Mr. Walter Bobbie: it (without music and snapping fingers)
- Heath the Thesaurus sings Ten Small Words (EKA: Episode 15: There's a Fly in My Soup)
- Tiger Words: A Trip to Tripoli [trip, not trap] (EKA: Episode 03: Little Big Mouse/Episode 11: To the Ship! To the Ship!)
- I Love A Good, Sad Book
- Fred Says: ing, sing
- Space: sing, sight, night
- The Monkey Pop-Up Theater: There is No Need to Light a Night-Light (EKA: Episode 05: Shooting Stars)
- Sky with Spotlights: night, nick, ick, tick, tickle
- What's Cooking? with Theo and Cleo: Tickled and Pickled Ribs (without music) (EKA: Episode 03: Little Big Mouse)
- Sam Spud: Par-Boiled Potato Detective: A Real Jam [not real jim] (EKA: Episode 11: To the Ship! To the Ship!)
- I Love A Good, Sad Book (Reprise)
- Barnaby B. Busterfield III: I feel better now, the crying is over and this is the end as Busterfield cries again
A King and His Hawk by Ingrid Ringling Singer
Notes and Trivia
- This episode is unusual for a PBS Kids show in that it mentions death.
- This is the second time Click cries, the first is There's a Fly in My Soup.
- The Walter Bobbie segment is later seen in the Season 2 Episode Five, Six, and Thistle Sticks.
- The sky words segment has the same music as in Sausage Nose and the same background as in Red Hat, Green Hat.
- The Sam Spud: Par-Boiled Potato Detective segment is later seen in the Season 7 Episode The Three Legged Pot/When Jabo Jammed.
- This episode was released on VHS on October 21, 2003, along with it's 18 other episodes. They are:
- Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West
- Shooting Stars
- Touching the Moon
- The Boy Who Cried Wolf
- Fuzzy Wuzzy, Wuzzy?
- Lionel's Antlers
- The Chap with Caps
- Pandora's Box
- Lionel's Great Escape Trick
- There's a Fly in My Soup
- The Popcorn Popper
- Hug! Hug! Hug!
- A Peck of Peppers
- Sausage Nose
- The Old Man
- The Roar That Makes Them Run
- Giants and Cubs
- Be Bop
- This episode was released on the Complete First Season 5-Disc DVD Boxset on January 8, 2008, along with Season 1's other 29 episodes. They are:
- Episode 01: Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West
- Episode 02: The Lost Rock
- Episode 03: Little Big Mouse
- Episode 04: Farmer Ken's Puzzle
- Episode 05: Shooting Stars
- Episode 06: The Hopping Hen
- Episode 07: Touching the Moon
- Episode 08: The Boy Who Cried Wolf
- Episode 09: Fuzzy Wuzzy, Wuzzy?
- Episode 10: Lionel's Antlers
- Episode 11: To the Ship! To the Ship!
- Episode 12: The Chap with Caps
- Episode 13: Pandora's Box
- Episode 14: Lionel's Great Escape Trick
- Episode 15: There's a Fly in My Soup
- Episode 16: The Popcorn Popper
- Episode 17: Something Fishy
- Episode 18: Hug, Hug, Hug!
- Episode 19: The Ram in the Pepper Patch
- Episode 20: A Peck of Peppers
- Episode 21: Sausage Nose
- Episode 22: Red Hat, Green Hat
- Episode 23: The Lucky Duck
- Episode 24: The Old Man
- Episode 26: The Roar That Makes Them Run
- Episode 27: Piggyback, Piggyback
- Episode 28: The Fox and the Crow
- Episode 29: Giants and Cubs
- Episode 30: Be Bop
- This is the second time where the announcer says "This is the end!", the first was Farmer Ken's Puzzle.
- The Monkey Pop-Up Theater segment also appears in Shooting Stars and Piggyback, Piggyback.
- This episode was last broadcasted on PBS in May 2005.
- This episode aired the same Day as Sesame Street Episode 3910 (With Elmo's World Episode: Transportation).
- Morals of Episode: Not all Stories have Happy endings. And never get so Angry and do something that you can't take it back (Like the King did to the Hawk, and like Leona almost did to her big brother Lionel.)
This page has a limited amount of images in the template. For extended images, see A King and His Hawk/Gallery.
Lionel: In a great rage, the King whipped out his Sword! With one swift blow, he killed his Friend, the Hawk!