|The Ram in the Pepper Patch|
|Season 1, Episode 19|
|Air date||April 27, 2000|
|Written by||Sean Kelly|
Michael K. Fifth
|Directed by||Lisa Simon|
Episode 18: Hug, Hug, Hug!
Episode 20: A Peck of Peppers
The Ram in the Pepper Patch is the 19th episode of Season 1 of Between the Lions.
Lionel reads a Mexican story called "Ram in the Pepper Patch" by Chile Ramirez to Leona. Suddenly, the Ram comes out of the book and causes chaos around the library. This continues until a patron (played by Anthony Asbury) wants to check the book out, but he changes his mind once he sees that the book is now called "No Ram in the Pepper Patch". The Ram, after imagining his many fans in Mexico freaking out about his absence from the story, has a change of heart and decides to return to the story.
Segments and Songs
- Martha Reader and The Vowelles singing the short "a" sound from their smash word "jam".
- Fred Says: ram (With music)
- Barnaby Busterfield and the Pigeons: Scram ham, scram you ham, ram the ham
- What's Cooking? with Theo and Cleo: Slammed and Rammed Ham with No Yam or Clam (EKA: Lionel's Antlers)
- Sam Spud: Par-Boiled Potato Detective: Raw Hamburger [Humbarger or Hamburger] (EKA: Shooting Stars)
- Sky: ham, harm, hark, ark, mark
- Fonix sings When It's an A-R (EKA: Shooting Stars)
- Color Patterns: mark, park, part, pat, rat, ram
- That Ram is on the Run!
- Fred Says: slam
- Gawain's Word: slam
- Robots: ram, ham, had, sad
- The Word Doctor with Dr. Ruth Wordheimer: sad, glad (EKA: The Chap with Caps)
- Martha Reader and The Vowelles sing "Crazy Vowel A"
- Fun with Chicken Jane: Chicken Jane and the Bad Ram (EKA: Lionel's Antlers)
- Dr. Bertice Berry blowing a note and shout with the A in "ham".
- Replaced Letter Songs: A Careless Young Clam (Heath's introduction cut) (EKA: Lionel's Antlers/Episode 12: The Chap with Caps)
- What's Your Name?: short a (Season 1 version) (EKA: Lionel's Antlers)
- Barnaby B. Busterfield III: the whole story ram episode, ram the ham again
- Ram in the Pepper Patch by Chile Ramirez
- No Ram in the Pepper Patch by Chile Ramirez
Notes and Trivia
- This is the second time where Lionel sings "Cliff Hanger, hanging on a cliff!", the first was Something Fishy.
- Emilio Delgado (better known as Luis on Sesame Street), who passed away on March 10th, 2022 of his blood cancer, played the voice of the ram in this episode.
- Lionel's puppeteer, Anthony Asbury, makes an appearance as a library patron.
- This is the only episode to include a classic cartoon sound effect, the bow string Ricco sound effect (originally from various Hanna-Barbera cartoons) is heard when the bee lands on the ram giving him a painful sting.
- This is the last episode in Season 1 where The Fonix appear.
- When It's an A-R also appears in Shooting Stars and Lionel's Antlers.
- This episode was released on VHS on March 6, 2001, along with Red Hat, Green Hat and Little Big Mouse.
- This episode was released on reprint VHS on October 1, 2002, along with other four episodes. They are:
- This episode was released on the Complete First Season 5-Disc DVD Boxset on January 8, 2008. Along with Season 1's other 29 episodes. They are:
- Episode 01: Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West
- Episode 02: The Lost Rock
- Episode 03: Little Big Mouse
- Episode 04: Farmer Ken's Puzzle
- Episode 05: Shooting Stars
- Episode 06: The Hopping Hen
- Episode 07: Touching the Moon
- Episode 08: The Boy Who Cried Wolf
- Episode 09: Fuzzy Wuzzy, Wuzzy?
- Episode 10: Lionel's Antlers
- Episode 11: To the Ship! To the Ship!
- Episode 12: The Chap with Caps
- Episode 13: Pandora's Box
- Episode 14: Lionel's Great Escape Trick
- Episode 15: There's a Fly in My Soup
- Episode 16: The Popcorn Popper
- Episode 17: Something Fishy
- Episode 18: Hug, Hug, Hug!
- Episode 20: A Peck of Peppers
- Episode 21: Sausage Nose
- Episode 22: Red Hat, Green Hat
- Episode 23: The Lucky Duck
- Episode 24: The Old Man
- Episode 25: A King and His Hawk
- Episode 26: The Roar That Makes Them Run
- Episode 27: Piggyback, Piggyback
- Episode 28: The Fox and the Crow
- Episode 29: Giants and Cubs
- Episode 30: Be Bop
- This episode was last broadcasted on PBS in June 2007.
- This episode aired the same Day as Sesame Street Episode 3904 (With Elmo's World Episode: Drawing).
This page has a limited amount of images in the template. For extended images, see The Ram in the Pepper Patch/Gallery.
Lionel: We've got to get this ram back in the book. But how?