|Season 1, Episode 10|
|Air date||April 14, 2000|
|Written by||Sarah Durkee|
Michael K. Fifth
|Directed by||Dean Gordon|
Episode 09: Fuzzy Wuzzy, Wuzzy?
Episode 11: To the Ship! To the Ship!
Lionel's Antlers is the tenth episode of Season 1 of Between the Lions.
|SCENE 1||One morning in the library, Lionel wakes up with antlers on his head! He thinks this is just a bad dream, but it's not. Cleo tells him that there's a story in the library with a girl that has the same problem...|
|Insert||Walter Pigeon says he can relate- he woke up with feathers again. Barnaby B. Busterfield III tells him that they're birds and they should have feathers.|
|SCENE 1 (Cont'd)||Cleo reads "Imogene's Antlers" to Lionel. But Lionel says the story didn't help him feel better about his antlers. Leona tells him that they'll go away and Cleo says that he should enjoy them, but Lionel objects. ("You're not the one who's turning into Bullwinkle!") So the family goes to cheer him up.|
|Insert||The Gray Hand removes the "an" from "antlers".|
|Puppets||Martha Reader and The Vowelles sing the short "a" sound from their bad word "man". (without or with fading in)|
|Puppets||Arty Smartypants: An, Pan, Plan, Planet|
|Celebrity||Dr. Bertice Berry opens the chest box and says the word "an".|
|Insert||Rectangular Bugs: an, am, arm, ark, mark|
|Film||Fonix sings When It's an A-R (EKA: Episode 05: Shooting Stars)|
|Insert||Stage: part, pat, pant, ant, antlers|
|SCENE 2||Lionel tries sneezing the antlers off, but it doesn't work. Then, through song, Leona shows Lionel that she has "antlers" too, and they aren't so bad. Then Theo and Cleo get an idea- they turn Lionel into a coat rack. But Lionel just wants the antlers OFF, and the family gets another idea. Lionel then remarks "What a weird family."|
|Film||Gawain's Word: dance|
|Insert||Abstract: dance, damp, lamp, clamp, clam|
|Cartoon||Replaced Letter Songs: A Careless Young Clam|
|Puppets||What's Cooking? with Theo and Cleo: Slammed and Rammed Ham with No Yam or Clam|
|Cartoon||Fun with Chicken Jane: Chicken Jane and the Bad Ram|
|Film||What's Your Name?: short a|
|The Word Doctor with Dr. Ruth Wordheimer: enchanting (without slam a door sound) (EKA: Farmer Ken's Puzzle)|
|Insert||The Gray Hand puts the "an" back in "antlers".|
|SCENE 3||The lion family puts on a play where Leona plays a magical princess in the forest. Then she sees a sleeping lion cub with antlers on his head, and does her special "Antlers-Off-Your-Head" dance, and when the cub wakes up- the antlers are still there!|
|SCENE 3 (Cont'd)||Then, Leona wakes up. It was all a bad dream, supposedly brought on by Theo reading "Imogene's Antlers" before Leona went to sleep. Then the family goes down for breakfast, and Lionel scoffs at the fact that he would have antlers. Then he sees himself in the mirror with two branches behind his head and believes he really does have antlers!|
Imogene's Antlers by David Small
Notes and Trivia
- This is the first episode to feature the short "A" sound.
- This episode is the only season 1 episode without Fred Says.
- This is the first episode where a preexisting children's book is read.
- Lionel makes a Rocky and Bullwinkle reference when he says to Cleo "You're not the one who's turning into Bullwinkle!", causing Theo and Cleo to laugh. And ironically enough, this episode and the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie both came out in 2000.
- This is the first episode to feature the song, What's Your Name? with the short A.
- When It's an A-R also appears in Shooting Stars and The Ram in the Pepper Patch.
- This episode was released on VHS on October 21, 2003, along with it's 18 other episodes. They are:
- Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West
- Shooting Stars
- Touching the Moon
- The Boy Who Cried Wolf
- Fuzzy Wuzzy, Wuzzy?
- The Chap with Caps
- Pandora's Box
- Lionel's Great Escape Trick
- There's a Fly in My Soup
- The Popcorn Popper
- Hug, Hug, Hug!
- A Peck of Peppers
- Sausage Nose
- The Old Man
- A King and His Hawk
- The Roar That Makes Them Run
- Giants and Cubs
- Be Bop
- This episode was released on the Complete First Season 5-Disc DVD Boxset on January 8, 2008. Along with Season 1's other 29 episodes. They are:
- Episode 01: Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West
- Episode 02: The Lost Rock
- Episode 03: Little Big Mouse
- Episode 04: Farmer Ken's Puzzle
- Episode 05: Shooting Stars
- Episode 06: The Hopping Hen
- Episode 07: Touching the Moon
- Episode 08: The Boy Who Cried Wolf
- Episode 09: Fuzzy Wuzzy, Wuzzy?
- Episode 11: To the Ship! To the Ship!
- Episode 12: The Chap with Caps
- Episode 13: Pandora's Box
- Episode 14: Lionel's Great Escape Trick
- Episode 15: There's a Fly in My Soup
- Episode 16: The Popcorn Popper
- Episode 17: Something Fishy
- Episode 18: Hug, Hug, Hug!
- Episode 19: The Ram in the Pepper Patch
- Episode 20: A Peck of Peppers
- Episode 21: Sausage Nose
- Episode 22: Red Hat, Green Hat
- Episode 23: The Lucky Duck
- Episode 24: The Old Man
- Episode 25: A King and His Hawk
- Episode 26: The Roar That Makes Them Run
- Episode 27: Piggyback, Piggyback
- Episode 28: The Fox and the Crow
- Episode 29: Giants and Cubs
- Episode 30: Be Bop
- This episode was last broadcasted on PBS in December 2008.
- This episode aired the same Day as Sesame Street Episode 3895 (With Elmo's World Episode: Flowers, Plants & Trees).
- The Ram from the book "Ram in the Pepper Patch" by Chile Ramirez has made a first cameo appearance from one of the segments of this episode, as well as his major role will appear in Episode 19: The Ram in the Pepper Patch. And his next cameo will appear in Episode 24: The Old Man.
This page has a limited amount of images in the template. For extended images, see Lionel's Antlers/Gallery.
Lionel: I wish I could sneeze these antlers off.
Lionel: What a weird family!