The Hopping Hen is the sixth episode of Season 1 of Between the Lions.
|The Hopping Hen|
|Season 1, Episode 6|
|Air date||April 10, 2000|
|Written by||Sarah Durkee|
Michael K. Fifth
|Directed by||Lisa Simon|
Touching the Moon
|SCENE 1||Leona and Lionel approach a patron who is being disturbed by a hopping hen. Lionel tells the hen to get out.|
|SCENE 1 (Cont'd)||Theo Lion enters with a box of signs that have just arrived from the printer. Theo explains that the signs are intended to be hung up all over the library to let everyone know the rules. Click interrupts to notify the lions that there is a plumbing emergency in the basement that requires Theo and Cleo's immediate attention. Theo leaves Lionel in charge of posting the signs. Lionel begins reading the signs, which seem somewhat confusing.|
|Insert||Walter and Clay Pigeon are having fun with Barnaby B. Busterfield III, who has a party hat on his head. Barnaby protests, but Walter insists they're just obeying a posted sign which reads "fun here."|
|Celebrity||Fred Says: hen|
|Puppets||Martha Reader and The Vowelles singing the short "e" sound from their sensational hit word "men". (without curtain)|
|Insert||Seesaw: men, en, hen, when|
|Insert||Seesaw: when, hen, en, pen, pet, wet|
|Film||Gawain's Word: wet (EKA: Episode 01: Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West)|
|Insert||Robots: wet, pet, pen, hen|
|Puppets||The Great Smartini: Ten Red-Vested Hens|
|Cartoon||The Un-People vs. The Re-People: dressed (EKA: Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West)|
|SCENE 2||Lionel tells Leona that this is the last sign: "hopping hen here." Click warns the cubs that some strange things are happening in the library, and they observe that patrons are following the rules on signs reading "bare feet allowed in the computer room", "eating and whistling at the same time", "saxophone playing", "breaking bricks permitted", "monkeys on the stair railing", and a few "hopping hen here" signs, too. Realizing that the new rules allow all manner of crazy behavior, Lionel sings "Brand New Rules" to the patrons.|
|Alarmed by all the ruckus, Theo and Cleo arrive and ask what is going on. Cleo realizes that the printer forgot to include the word "No" on all the signs; they should have read "No saxophone playing", "No breaking bricks permitted", etc. Just then, a delivery man arrives with a box, and Cleo is relieved to find that inside the box is the word "No".|
|Celebrity||Fred Says: yell|
|Insert||Stage: yell, yes|
|Puppets||Dunderhead Lab with Dr. Nitwhite and Watson: Words with the Short E|
|Puppets||Martha Reader and The Vowelles sing "Dreamy Vowel E" (without curtain)|
|Cartoon||The Adventures of Cliff Hanger: Cliff Hanger and the Bed (without music) (EKA: Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West)|
|Film||Sloppy Pop sings Read the Signs|
|SCENE 3||Soon, the family puts "No"s all over the signs, and everything is put back to normal. Leona finds one remaining "hopping hen here" sign without a "No" but Cleo reveals that it's not a mistake. They put it outside so the hen can happily hop, and everyone else can read in private.|
|Insert||The "fun here" sign near Barnaby has also been corrected to read "No fun here." And Barnaby sings "Party Pooper".|
- Lionel Lion
- Leona Lion
- Theo Lion
- Cleo Lion
- Click the Mouse
- Walter and Clay Pigeon
- Barnaby B. Busterfield III
- Dean Dragon
- Sloppy Pop
- Cliff Hanger
- Arty Smartypants
- Marmy Smartypants
- Announcer Bunny
- Overall patron
- Saxophone patron
- Phineas Pelican
- Daniel Duck
- Dr. Nitwhite
Notes and Trivia
- This is the third episode that does not have a particular book involved.
- This is the second episode that has the word hen as the main word, the first was Farmer Ken's Puzzle.
- Jennifer Barnhart (Cleo's voice) plays the annoyed patron.
- In the Fred Says segment, Fred gives the hen a slightly similar voice to Candle, a baby dragon from the show Dragon Time in the rejected Jim Henson Company sitcom pilot Puppetman, which Fred starred on, as the head puppeteer Gary, who puppeteered Candle, as well as Butane and Clyde.
- This is the only episode that the grey hand pulls out the end of the word from Fred Says and takes it to the next segment.
- This is the only episode where The Curtain is not shown in both Martha Reader and The Vowelles segments.
- This episode was released on the To the Ship! To the Ship! and Other Stories DVD on September 27, 2005, along with it's 2 bonus episodes To the Ship! To the Ship! and Be Bop.
- This episode was released on The Hopping Hen and More! DVD Boxset on September 27, 2005, along with other eight episodes. They are:
- This episode was released on VHS on October 30, 2001 and reprint VHS on October 1, 2002, along with other five episodes. They are:
- This episode was released on the Complete First Season 5-Disc DVD Boxset on January 8, 2008, along with Season 1's other 29 episodes. They are:
- Episode 01: Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West
- Episode 02: The Lost Rock
- Episode 03: Little Big Mouse
- Episode 04: Farmer Ken's Puzzle
- Episode 05: Shooting Stars
- Episode 07: Touching the Moon
- Episode 08: The Boy Who Cried Wolf
- Episode 09: Fuzzy Wuzzy, Wuzzy?
- Episode 10: Lionel's Antlers
- Episode 11: To the Ship! To the Ship!
- Episode 12: The Chap with Caps
- Episode 13: Pandora's Box
- Episode 14: Lionel's Great Escape Trick
- Episode 15: There's a Fly in My Soup
- Episode 16: The Popcorn Popper
- Episode 17: Something Fishy
- Episode 18: Hug, Hug, Hug!
- Episode 19: The Ram in the Pepper Patch
- Episode 20: A Peck of Peppers
- Episode 21: Sausage Nose
- Episode 22: Red Hat, Green Hat
- Episode 23: The Lucky Duck
- Episode 24: The Old Man
- Episode 25: A King and His Hawk
- Episode 26: The Roar That Makes Them Run
- Episode 27: Piggyback, Piggyback
- Episode 28: The Fox and the Crow
- Episode 29: Giants and Cubs
- Episode 30: Be Bop
- This episode was last broadcasted on PBS in April 2009.
- This episode aired the same Day as Sesame Street Episode 3891 (With Elmo's World Episode: Hair).
- Busterfield says "Bah! Humbug!" like Ebenezer Scrooge.
- In the close up of the "Bare feet allowed in the computer room" sign, the camera shakes.
This page has a limited amount of images in the template. For extended images, see The Hopping Hen/Gallery.
- Busterfield: Heh heh heh. Now the sign says 'no fun here.'
- Walter and Clay: Oh, no fun here? Phooey!
- Busterfield: (singing) Every party has a pooper / That's why I invited me / Party pooper, party pooper. Heh heh heh heh.
- Cleo: One 'hopping hen here' sign isn't supposed to have a 'no.' The library welcomes all bouncing poultry.
- Cliff Hanger: This is as easy as falling out of bed.
- Delivery Man: Yo, I got a package here, It must have fallen off the truck.
- Cleo: It's from the printer.
- Leona: I'm coming too.
- Lionel: You know, I knew there was something wrong with those signs.
- Delivery Man: This is a really interesting library.
- Lionel: Oh, yeah.
- Cleo: But wait a minute. "Saxophone playing"?
- Theo: "Breaking bricks"?
- Lionel and Leona: See?
- Cleo: Oh, oh, the printer forgot the 'nos.'
- Leona: (indicating her nose) I got mine.
- Cleo: No, the printer forgot to put the word "No" on all the signs.
- Theo: Yeah — it should be "No saxophone playing" and "No breaking bricks".
- Duck: That's okay. I'm trying to quit anyway.
- Lionel: (singing) Bye bye to peace and quiet / Old laws and regulations.
- Leona: You know, it sort of seems like the rules are — there are no rules.
- Lionel: This place is like, wild. Come on. Let's go check out the rest of the library.
- Click: Lionel, Leona. I have been scanning very unusual visual data all over the library.
- Leona: (reading a sign) 'Hopping hen here.'
- Hen: (clucks hesitantly)
- Lionel: Okay, I guess we're ready for you now.
- Leona: Breaking bricks is permitted in the library? (gasps)
- Lionel: I guess so. It — it says right here.
- Lionel: 'Monkeys on the stair railing?' What a weird rule.
- Theo: Cleo, my dear, the signs are here! Hey, that rhymed.
- Female Patron: I am a patient woman. I am an animal lover. But I draw the lion... (covering up a beak with hands.) the line at chickens jumping on my book.
- Lionel: Shh.