|Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West|
|Season 1, Episode 1 (show premiere)|
|Air date||April 3, 2000 (season premiere)|
|Written by||Joe Fallon|
|Directed by||Lisa Simon|
Episode 02: The Lost Rock
Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West is the first episode of Season 1 of Between the Lions, and the series premiere episode of Between the Lions.
|SCENE 1||Theo reads "How Pecos Bill Cleaned Up the West by Beth Western" to the gang, then they sing a song about how he was the best, then rest.|
|Insert||The grey hand takes the "est" out of "west".|
|Muppets||Martha Reader and The Vowelles singing the short "e" sound from their festive hit word "best".|
|Insert||Color Patterns: best, bet, bell|
|Celebrity||Fred Says: bell|
|Cartoon||Ship: bell, bet, wet|
|Muppets||Gawain's Word: wet (Version 1)|
|Muppets||Arty Smartypants: Nest, Rest, Resting, Restaurant (Version 1)|
|Cartoon||Color Patterns (again): rest, best, bet, bed|
|Cartoon||The Adventures of Cliff Hanger: Cliff Hanger and the Bed (Version 1, with music)|
|SCENE 2||Lionel and Leona are practicing rope wrestling. Leona claims that Pecos Bill would never miss, and Lionel replies that he'd never miss because he isn't real. Leona refuses to believe this, so they have Click drag and drop him out of the book. Not only does Bill come out, but so does a tornado! Unfortunately, Bill explains that he can't stop the tornado, as he is just a fictional character. Hearing this, Cleo suggests writing a new story called "How Pecos Bill Cleaned Up the Library".|
|Insert||Walter and Clay sing "Buster is the Best", until the paper tornado hits Buster's hat and them away!|
|Cartoon||Sky: west, chest, chess, mess, e|
|Muppets||Martha Reader and The Vowelles (back again) sing the short "e" sound from their zesty hit word "mess".|
|The Word Doctor with Dr. Ruth Wordheimer: impressive (Version 1)|
|Insert||"Dr. Bertice Berry with the E in "yell".|
|Celebrity||Dr. Bertice Berry shout with the E in "yell". (Versions 1 and 2)|
|Song||What's Your Name?: short E (Season 1 version 1)|
|Cartoon||The Un-People vs. The Re-People: dressed (Version 1)|
|Muppets||The Monkey Pop-Up Theater: Sven Said, Ten Tents, Ted Sent Ten Cents (Version 1)|
|Insert||The grey hand puts the "est" back in the book.|
|Theo and Cleo write their new story in order to stop the tornado. It is successful, and Bill heads back into his book.|
How Pecos Bill Cleaned Up the West: A Tall Tale by Beth Western
- Leona: (singing) Click clicked with her trickiest, slickest click / And dragged and dropped that twister quick.
- Busterfield: I am not a cowboy. I am Barnaby B. "Don't Call Me Buster" Busterfield III, founder of this library. Get this hat off my head this instant!
- Pecos Bill: Story's not true. Never happened. Never could happen. It's a tall tale. I'm just a paper hero.
- Cleo: Stay calm. We're having a technical problem. A slight tornado. Perfectly harmless.
- Theo: Bill said to Tess, "I must confess. If there's one thing I detest, it's a mess."
- Theo: Pecos Bill was the best. The best in the west.
- Cleo: Oh. Sweet Nursery Rhymes for Sleepy Cubs. Sounds nice, doesn't it, Leona?
- Lionel: (singing) Gonna read a story before bed.
- Female Monkey Singer: (singing) Let's start with our favorite vowel, a pretty good place to start.
- This is the first episode to feature the short "E" sound.
- The pelican who loses his hairpiece is a modified version of Dr. Nitwhite.
- This is the first time the grey hand takes three letters.
- This is the first episode to feature the song, What's Your Name? with the short E.
- Anthony Asbury - Lionel Lion
- Kathryn Mullen - Leona Lion
- Peter Linz - Theo Lion, Gawain, Announcer Bunny (Arty Smartypants segment), What's Your Name? announcer
- Jennifer Barnhart - Cleo Lion, "Sven Said" lead singer
- Heather Asch - Click the Mouse, Clay Pigeon, Girl Monkey
- Tim Lagasse - Barnaby B. Busterfield III, Arty Smartypants
- Tyler Bunch - Walter Pigeon, Dr. Ruth's patient, The Un-People announcer
- Jim Napolitano - background roles
- Fred Newman - himself
- Dr. Bertice Berry - herself
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer - Dr. Ruth Wordheimer
- Michael K. Frith - The Adventures of Cliff Hanger narrator, Announcer Bunny (Bertice Berry segment), Sir "et"
- Chris Phillips - Cliff Hanger
- Kate Berner (uncredited) - Monica Maxwell
- Paul Jacobs - Vowelles announcer