|Pecos Bill Cleans Up the West|
|Season 1, Episode 1 (show premiere)|
|Air date||April 3, 2000 (season premiere)|
|Written by||Joe Fallon|
|Directed by||Lisa Simon|
Episode 02: The Lost Rock
|SCENE 1||Theo reads "How Pecos Bill Cleaned Up the West" to the gang, then they sing a song about how he was the best, then rest.|
|Insert||The grey hand (in it's first appearance) takes the letters "est" to the first segment from the word "West".|
|Puppets||Martha Reader and The Vowelles: best|
|Cartoon||Colored patterns: best, bet, bell|
|Celebrity||Fred Says: bell|
|Cartoon||Water Deck: bell, bet, wet|
|Puppets||Gawain's Word: wet|
|Puppets||Arty Smartypants: nest, rest, resting, restaurant|
|Cartoon||Colored Patterns (again): rest, best, bet, bed|
|Cartoon||Cliff Hanger and the Bed|
|SCENE 2||Lionel and Leona are practicing rope wrestling, until they capture a customer of the library, and when they find out about Pecos Bill, When Click drags and drops him out, a tornado comes out of the book!|
|Insert||Walter and Clay parody the song to "Buster is the Best", until the paper tornado hits Buster's hat and them away!|
|Cartoon||Replaced Sky Words: west, chest, chess, mess, e|
|Puppets||Martha Reader and The Vowelles (again): mess|
|The Word Doctor with Dr. Ruth Wordheimer:
|Celebrity||Dr. Bertice Berry: yell|
|Song||What's Your Name? (short E)|
|Cartoon||The Un People: undressed/redressed|
|Puppets||The Monkey Pop Up Theatre: Sven Said, Ted Send Ten Tents|
|Insert||The grey hand puts "est" back|
|The tornado is still happening, so Cleo and Theo write a story and song called "How Pecos Bill cleaned up the library mess", then they send Lionel and Leona to bed.|
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Leona: (singing) Click clicked with her trickiest, slickest click / And dragged and dropped that twister quick.
- Busterfield: I am not a cowboy. I am Barnaby B. "Don't Call Me Buster" Busterfield III, founder of this library. Get this hat off my head this instant!
- Pecos Bill: Story's not true. Never happened. Never could happen. It's a tall tale. I'm just a paper hero.
- Cleo: Stay calm. We're having a technical problem. A slight tornado. Perfectly harmless.
- Theo: Bill said to Tess, "I must confess. If there's one thing I detest, it's a mess."
- Theo: Pecos Bill was the best. The best in the west.
- Cleo: Oh. Sweet Nursery Rhymes for Sleepy Cubs. Sounds nice, doesn't it, Leona?
- Lionel: (singing) Gonna read a story before bed.
- Female Monkey Singer: (singing) Let's start with our favorite vowel, a pretty good place to start.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The first season marked:
- The show is similar to Sesame Street.
- The first episode to be filmed on the WGBH era.
- The first time, Theo reads his sing-along book.
- The puppeteers of the Jim Henson Company Kathryn Mullen, Anthony Asbury and Tim Lagasse are credited.
- The "Sesame Street" puppeteers Heather Asch, Jennifer Barnhart (before joining the "Sesame Street" cast in 2001), Matt Vogel, Peter Linz, Rick Lyon, and Tyler Bunch are credited.
Allusions[edit | edit source]
During The Monkey Pop Up Theatre segment, the female monkey singer remarks the line, Let's start with our favorite vowel, a pretty good place to start. It is similar to Let's start at the very beginning. A very good place to start From the song, Do Re Mi from the 1965 movie: The Sound of Music.
In Other Languages[edit | edit source]
- Korean: 피코스 빌이 서부를 청소하는 법